Health rules applicable to travelers living in Saint-Pierre and Miquelon and traveling to Fortune, Newfoundland, Canada
To enter Fortune, you will be required to:
- Complete the Arrive CAN application;
- Obtain your travel reference number (e.g. NL-12345-678910) from https://travel-declaration.nlchi.nl.ca/Default_Fr.aspx
- A negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure for all travellers 5 years of age and older. It is important to make an appointment on the DOCTOLIB website https://www.doctolib.fr at least 3 days before the departure date. Last minute appointments will not be possible.
- Be fully vaccinated,
Please note that it is your responsibility to make an appointment for your PCR test at a date compatible with your travel date.
Accepted vaccines are Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen/Johnson &Johnson.
Unvaccinated children can be screened on day 1 and day 8.
Please note that each province may impose stricter rules, self-isolation may be imposed on unvaccinated children. It is your responsibility to check the information.
SPM Ferries cannot be held responsible for the information provided .
For your information:
Effective August 9, 2021, for travelers entering Canada by sea, border measures are being changed for fully vaccinated travelers. The following are affected by these new measures:
Canadian citizens and permanent residents (PR) – exempt from quarantine
U.S. citizens and permanent residents (PR) residing in the United States are allowed entry on a discretionary basis and are exempt from quarantine;
French citizens and PR residing in St. Pierre and Miquelon are allowed to enter for discretionary reasons and are exempt from quarantine;
You can make an appointment for a PCR test in Newfoundland by logging on to: https://portal.healthmyself.net/nlcovidtest/forms/68ww
Health rules applicable to travelers from Fortune to Saint-Pierre and Miquelon
To enter Saint-pierre and Miquelon, you will be required to:
- For a mandatory negative PCR test dated less than 72 hours before the crossing OR an antigen test dated less than 48 hours before the crossing, for any passenger 12 years of age or over.
Attention regarding antigenic tests, self-tests are not accepted, an official test result is required by a professional clinic.
- For vaccinated people: you must have proof of your vaccination status attesting to the completion of being fully vaccinated (Paper format required)
- For unvaccinated people: you must have a legitimate reason and justification to enter Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, and you will be placed in isolation for seven days on arrival. In addition, it is mandatory to perform an RT-PCR test on D + 7.
Isolation and PCR testing costs are the responsibility of the traveler.
For information, unvaccinated minors accompanying an adult with complete proof of vaccination are exempt from the isolation requirement on arrival in Saint-Pierre et Miquelon.
- The “COVID-19 INFO” document must be fully completed (this document is given out on board the vessel by the crew)
- You must provide a travel document including in particular a document specifying that you have no symptoms of covid-19 infection and have had no contact with a confirmed case of covid-19 in the 14 days preceding the crossing. (this document is given out on board the vessel by the crew)
- The form of the quarantine place document if you cannot justify a complete vaccination course (this document is given out on board the vessel by the crew)
SPM Ferries cannot be held responsible for the information provided for this purpose.
Please consult the web site of the Prefecture of Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon to find all the updated information :
Please note that in order to leave Saint-Pierre and Miquelon and board the ferries, you will be required to show a negative PCR test result. We advise you to make an appointment before your departure from Fortune on the website https://www.doctolib.fr
It will not be possible to make an appointment for the day before or the day of departure. The appointment must be made at least 3 days before departure (your return).
How to make an appointment on the DOCTOLIB website:
- Log in on the website : www.doctolib.fr ;
- Log in to your Doctolib account or create one if you are using this website for the first time;
- In the “Médecin, établissement» slot,
Enter : « Dépistage COVID-19 test PCR (prélévement nasapharyngé) »
- In the “Ou” box, enter “St. Pierre and Miquelon“;
- Via the schedule, select the screening centre in Saint-Pierre or Miquelon, and the date and time you wish to do the test;
- Select the reason for the test;
- Click on “Prendre rendez-vous“;
PCR test results may take up to 24 hours to be available.
Health rules applicable to passengers on board NORDET and SUROIT
To travel on board the ferries on the Saint-Pierre-Fortune route, we inform you that
- Wearing a mask is mandatory. This obligation also applies to the outside areas of the ship;
- The cafeteria on board the ship is closed. You may want to eat before boarding the ship;
- Hydro-alcoholic gel is available on board as well as soap and water in the ship’s washroom.
Documents to check before traveling to Canada :
- Unvaccinated Children travelling with Fully Vaccinated Parents
- Travel Declaration Card
- Travel Tool Kit
- COVID-19: Travel, testing, quarantine and borders
Admission to the territory
The general scheme governing the movement of foreigners stipulates that:
“holders of a Canadian identification document are exempted from carrying a passport or visa for stays of
under 90 days per 180-day period.”
List of documents accepted for admission to our territory under the above-mentioned conditions (these
documents must be currently valid):
- a passport
- a regular driver’s license
- a regular ID card
- a Certificate of Indian Status issued after December 15, 2009
- a permanent resident card
The following documents are not accepted:
- a citizenship certificate
- a school or student card
- a health insurance certificate, with or without photo (Quebec-Ontario)
- a social insurance – MCP card
- a birth or baptismal certificate
If you want to bring a pet with you to Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, please read the document at this link:
Firearms transportation between Saint-Pierre, Miquelon and Langlade
SPM Ferries informs its passengers that firearms and ammunitions transportation is regulated.
Firearms have to be transported so that they are not immediately useable. They must be placed within a
soft or rigid holster. In each and every case, firearms have to be unloaded and declared
during the purchase of the ticket. In addition, weapons belonging to walk-on passengers
travelling aboard the ferries must be given to the operation service before entering the ferry
terminal. Regarding the trips of the Jeune France, firearms and ammunitions have to be
given to the crew. Firearms must never enter the ferry terminal.
Moreover, we advise you ammunitions are dangerous products. Just like any firearms,
they have to be declared to the operation service who will take care of them.
Ammunitions transported inside vehicles will not be moved.
For everyone’s safety, SPM Ferries reserves the rights to verify the holsters at any time. We thank you for your
You can pick up the declaration at our various selling point or download it online by clicking here.
Importing fresh foods, plants and animals to Canada
If you wish to bring fresh foods, plants or animals into Canada, please read the information at the following link
Exiting the territory
The requirement for a minor not accompanied by a person holding parental authority to have an exit authorization
permit (AST/autorisation de sortie du territoire) was reintroduced on January 15, 2017. This new measure applies to
all minors whose ordinary place of residence is France. It also applies to all trips, taken individually and in a
group (school trip, vacation camps, language program stays, etc.) involving a minor leaving French territory without
being accompanied by a person holding parental authority.
The Saint-Pierre and Miquelon tourism website offers
practical information to ensure that entering and leaving the Islands goes smoothly!